[CS-FSLUG] Meet "Blam"

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Sat Dec 18 08:07:06 CST 2004

On Saturday 18 December 2004 17:13, Wade A Smith wrote:

> > It crawls, the drives are noisy, the case is huge -- but it works,
> > and
> > will provide minimal service until God sees fit to provide
> > something
>
> what is this "minimal service" that is provided?  Web server? A
> workstation?
> Communication with the outside world?
> IIRC, you had some reason why you preferred the "older stuff" but my
> failing memory makes it difficult to remember what I was talking
> about, what was I talking about again?

I can't install some of the writer ware I really like, because there is
too little room on the drives. This case was designed in such a way
that there is room for 3 drives below the floppy: 2 HDDs and one
CD-ROM. The system is SCSI based, and I don't have anything bigger than
a 4GB and some 3s and 2s. If nothing comes through in the next few
weeks, I'll consider changing it to IDE drives. I can't boost the RAM
anymore because the biggest 72-pin EDO chips I have are 32MB, and there
are six slots (pairs required). I may be able to swap the PII/233 for a
266. There's not much else I could do, unless I get a fancier PCI
graphics card.

Thus, I get net connectivity and very basic writing tools (KOffice and
Kwrite) with no room for LaTeX/Lyx or Open Office. I still don't have
the printer installed because I'm waiting to see what happens.

I still appreciate older stuff of quality. Had my Athlon board lived,
I'd still be using it two years from now. I'm asking God for a sub-1Ghz
server box, and hopefully at least 500Mhz. This ProSignia was designed
around NT4, so the controllers are not the best quality.

> I still like how you really fixed up that little piece I wrote on
> "liberals"

I still do free ghost-writing for lots of people. A couple of projects
are using my work on their main pages. I never ask for credit, but if
it makes money, I'll gladly take my share ;-)

--
Ed Hurst