[CS-FSLUG] Christian FOSS News

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Thu Dec 16 16:36:06 CST 2004

> I was curious about something. I have been talking with people lately
> about a Christian FOSS news site modeled off of Slashdot. I have
> concluded that Slashcode is too cumbersome at this point as it would

I'd concur about that. And I don't have a good suggestion on what to
use, maybe Scoop (kiro5hin's CMS) might be OK. Stay away from *Nuke
unless you want to have to deal with lots of security headaches.

> require a dedicated server or at least a VPS to host the silly thing
> and I don't have the resources financially to set that up. I also was
> wondering if such a thing was even necessary or whether producing a
> hub for all the other things going on might be better. Providing a
> single site that pulls in stuff from all the various sources to create
> a "network" of sites...

	I've tried that with some other types of sites before. It works if
each member site cooperates, otherwise it disintegrates.

	What a site (IMO) really needs is lots of original content plus a link
aggregator that links like Slashdot does. That first part is a big part
of why I have not yet embarked on this type of site myself...

	-Tim

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |