[CS-FSLUG] looking for: info OT Holidays & Year of Jubilee

Doug Coats dcoats at heritagemail.org
Wed Dec 15 08:44:08 CST 2004

Ron,

The 7 weeks or 50 days is not the length of the feast but the number of days
after the Feast of the Firstfruits.  The Feast of Weeks was only a one day
feast in which they tithed the first fruits of the wheat harvest as an
offering. Since both feasts deal with the "first fruits" of a harvest they
are sometimes referred to with the same name.

So scripturally this coincides with the death of Jesus (at the time of the
Passover) and the out pouring of the Holy Spirit on the believers
(Pentecost) 50 days later.

As JSR points out I do not believe the year of Jubilee was ever carried out
and most likely some of these were not carried out by everyone.  Just like
many of the laws themselves were not followed.

As a side note when Jesus was anointed with the perfume and Judas was angry
because he said that it could have been sold and many poor could have been
fed  (even though we know he had his hand in the cookie jar).  Jesus said
"the poor you have with you always."  To many this is a simple statement
about Jesus' soon departure when really it was a rebuke about them not
following the laws set forth my Moses.  If they had followed those laws they
would not have the poor because there were provisions to take care of them.

But I meander...

God bless,

Doug