[CS-FSLUG] Mobo dying?

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Sun Dec 12 08:12:23 CST 2004

N. Thompson wrote:

> I had a Gigabyte motherboard in my old computer, over all I'd say it was less
> problematic than this ASUS I've got now since it didn't break down as
> much :-) . On the 233 MHz computer with 128 Mb of ram you should still be
> able to run a decent distribution like MDK or Fedora, there is one advantage
> to old hardware and that is that it is more likely to be supported although
> it does seem that eventually drivers get dropped. I wouldn't imagine SUSE
> could run on that computer even if you doubled the ram, when I used 9.1 it
> ran about as fast as roadkill.

Thanks, Nathan, but I'm not a connoiseur of OSs. I'm committed to using
FreeBSD. I've already ditched the fancier computer (Athlon 1.1, ATI
Radeon, etc.) because it didn't run well with FreeBSD. On the older 233,
FreeBSD will run even better than a recent Linux. It takes far less
resources -- even the most recent release will install on 8MB RAM. And
let's face it: FreeBSD drivers lag behind Linux on accommodating newer
hardware, so it shines on older machines.

--
Ed Hurst