[CS-FSLUG] Mobo dying?

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Sun Dec 12 00:59:39 CST 2004

On December 11, 2004 09:21 pm, Ed Hurst wrote:
> Fred A. Miller wrote:
> > 'Sounds like a chipset problem, which if is correct, the MOB will be
> > "dead" before long. I did have a BIOS "go south" in a MOB years ago and
> > the symptoms were simular. 'Asus MOB = cheap price and CHEAP
> > construction.
>
> Well, this is a Gigabyte 7 series. I had to make the donated dollars
> stretch at the time.

I had a Gigabyte motherboard in my old computer, over all I'd say it was less
problematic than this ASUS I've got now since it didn't break down as
much :-) . On the 233 MHz computer with 128 Mb of ram you should still be
able to run a decent distribution like MDK or Fedora, there is one advantage
to old hardware and that is that it is more likely to be supported although
it does seem that eventually drivers get dropped. I wouldn't imagine SUSE
could run on that computer even if you doubled the ram, when I used 9.1 it
ran about as fast as roadkill.

As much as I may sometimes become bored with MDK I have to admit that its
worked the best out of every other distribution I've tried, especially Ark
which only by the grace of God hasn't been given up on yet ;-) . If you want
to try something lite I'd recommend either Slackware for best performance
without having to (re)compile anything or SAM if you're looking for something
like MDK but with lighter software, the last version of SAM I tried wasn't
fully translated though so don't bother with it unless you have spare CD's to
part with, if you don't have many CD's your best bet is to go with something
thats been around (in the English language) longer.