[CS-FSLUG] My turn for being clueless

Alvin Smith email at alvinsmith.com
Tue Dec 7 15:24:09 CST 2004

On Tuesday 07 December 2004 01:27 pm, Ed Hurst wrote:
> I mentioned this a few months ago, then put it on the back burner to
> solve more pressing needs. Now the issue is before me again. Let's
> assume I know zero, because it close to that.
>
> I run FreeBSD 5.3 and connect via dialup. Most of you won't be able to
> help with peculiarities of FreeBSD, but I still need a general framework
> of "what must happen" for this to work.
>
> I have been given a 5-port switch from AOpen (AOW-605U). My box has a
> working ethernet card, so those two are now connected, but nothing
> configured because I can't answer all the config questions just yet. I'm
> waiting info on FreeBSD config data for configuring the NIC. I have no
> idea if the switch needs configuring.
>
> I am connecting my wife's (shudder) XP box to the switch, so that I can
> serve PPP to her. Then I can remove the internal modem which is causing
> crashes and other problems. Her ethernet connection is built on the
> board. The idea is that no outside machine has any hope of passing
> anythying to her that doesn't pass my IP filter. For now, I'm assuming
> my firewall will allow in only those things her machine has asked for
> specifically: webpages, e-mail, FTP, etc. I see no need to worry about
> caching, DNS, etc. I may try to fetch her mail. So I guess for her it's
> PPPoE. To keep it simple for now, she will only be able to connect after
> my machine has dialed up by explicit command. No auto-dial on demand for
> her.
>
> Aside from the idea that I need to assign internal addresses somthing
> like 192.168.0.1 for mine and 192.168.0.2 for hers, I can't guess much
> about the very basic networking concepts many of you take for granted.
> I've never done anything with networking beyond getting myself connected
> via dialup.
>
> What can you tell me, brothers and sisters?

Firstly, take a look at this:
http://www.lugbe.ch/lostfound/contrib/freebsd_router/

As for the Windows system, PPoE does not come into play.

All you have to do is configure the network using DHCP, or manually using the
freebsd box as the default gateway, and the first DNS server followed by your
ISP's DNS servers.

If you just want a simple dialup router/firewall, and you have an old computer
with a floppy drive and a hardware modem, and a NIC, then look at this:

http://www.freesco.org/

I have had this working on a 486 with 8MB of RAM, no hard drive, no
powersupply fan, no monitor, no case.
--
Alvin Smith