[CS-FSLUG] My turn for being clueless

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Tue Dec 7 14:58:43 CST 2004

On Tue December 7 2004 1:27 pm, Ed Hurst wrote:
> Aside from the idea that I need to assign internal addresses somthing
> like 192.168.0.1 for mine and 192.168.0.2 for hers, I can't guess much
> about the very basic networking concepts many of you take for granted.
> I've never done anything with networking beyond getting myself connected
> via dialup.

Ed......MOST switches and routers come with firmware, which by the way, there
IS an update for that available. You will access the firmware via a
browser......you can set WAN and LAN settings, MAKE SURE you turn "off"
remote access to the setup, and turn on NAT, which will give 192* addresses
auto. It SHOULD be very configureable, and probably will be by default closed
tight.

Fred

--
"As Internet technology itself vaults into new areas, so too does the
Microsoft monopoly and its tried-and-true bag of tricks."