[CS-FSLUG] Strange log messages

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Tue Dec 7 10:11:14 CST 2004

Iptables leaves a log that looks something like:
Dec  5 04:02:48 test kernel: TFW WAN-FIREWALL:IN=eth1 OUT=
MAC=ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:00:30:80:dd:23:38:08:00 SRC=172.18.153.89 DST=255.
255.255.255 LEN=345 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=255 ID=7435 PROTO=UDP SPT=67 DPT=68
LEN=325
Dec  5 04:02:48 test kernel: TFW WAN-FIREWALL:IN=eth1 OUT=
MAC=ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:00:30:80:dd:23:38:08:00 SRC=10.51.208.1 DST=255.25
5.255.255 LEN=345 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=255 ID=7438 PROTO=UDP SPT=67 DPT=68
LEN=325

The TFW WAN-FIREWALL tag is about the only oddity in this chunk of log.  The
rest of the log file reads as follows.
Dec  5 04:02:48        Date and time the message occured.
test       The computer is named "test"
kernel:     Iptables is handled through the kernel, and is automatically tagged
with a "kernel" to let you know where it originated from.
TFW WAN-FIREWALL     I added this tag nyself because I have a nasty-to-read
iptables configuration and it is there for debugging purposes.
IN-eth1 which network interface it came in on.
etc...

Basically, the whole rest of the log, MAC, SRC, DST, etc. is a part of every
iptables log.

Anyway, the short of it is that I doubt the log was generated by iptables.  I
believe ipchains has a similar looking log when it leaves a log behind.

But, in the off-chance that it still is iptables, the fact that it occurs every
20 min is still a good clue.  You would have a particular type of packet
hitting your machine every 20 min (and only every 20 min).  And it would be
just a single packet.

- -

Iptables does have a "MARK", and all it means is that you have tagged a packet
so you can do something else with it later.   You can use it to have multiple
routing tables (sending port 80 packets through a different default gateway,
etc.)  It can be very useful, but most normal humans are lucky enough not to
need to know stuff like that.  I have used it twice in my life, and I do a fair
bit of firewalling.

    - Tim Young