[CS-FSLUG] CMS Comparison

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Fri Dec 3 16:49:09 CST 2004

At 02:42 PM 12/3/04, K Montgomery wrote:
>My primary criterion is ease of use.  Although these products are designed
>to allow for multiple contributors, I really don't have need for that
>feature.  Maybe CMS is overkill for my purposes?  It just happened to be
>available (I use Tim Butler's web hosting service).

About a week ago, I found this CMS software:
         http://www.cmsimple.dk/
In an afternoon, I transformed this site:
         http://www.mirror.org/groups/genealogy/index.html
into this demo site (also on Tim's server) using a default template
(package has one more):
         http://buzz.bax.on.ca/ogs/
That time includes installation, learning curve and a lot of copy/paste for
content.  In many cases I split a large page into multiple smaller pieces.

I expect to look for another package, but only because license agreement
requires payment to remove the link to author's site.  CMSimple only allows
for a single admin usr/pwd and stores the website in a single html file, so
it won't scale to a large site.  The php script creates menus based on
H1-H2-H3 tags in the source file, like this:
         http://buzz.bax.on.ca/ogs/master.htm
Software has a (very slick) web-based gui interface, or you can edit the
html file directly.  I even figured out how to link some larger pages that
didn't fit the model (See Links1 - MembersPersonalResearch - Dennis & Wayne).

I will also be interested to see follow-ups to your query - I was
considering a similar post myself.

Frank