[CS-FSLUG] CMS Comparison

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Fri Dec 3 21:46:31 CST 2004

Hi Kathy,
> I've been looking at a Content Management System as a possible way to
> construct a decent-looking web site without having to design one
> myself.  :)  However, I'm completely new to the CMS world.  Anyone
> have experience with any of the following?

	Yes. A lot of it depends on what you are trying for... do you want
something like Slashdot or OfB where it has news articles and such as
the center of attention?

> Mambo Open Source

	Mambo is nice for a bit more full featured web site. I'd also
recommend considering Metadot (www.metadot.com), I use that (heavily
modified) for FaithTree. It is VERY powerful.

> PHP-Nuke

	Fine, but very bad security. Very bad. OfB runs PHP-Nuke and has been
hacked into twice despite my best efforts. The first time was a fairly
innoculous addition of a political message, the second time planted
spyware on visitor's computers and forwarded them to a porn site.

	If you go with PHP-Nuke, it is best (I found out too late) not to
modify the code base, that way you can do frequent upgrades to the
latest releases. Or, if you want to stick with a certain codebase so
that you can modify it to your needs, go through the modules and remove
every module you do not plan to use and break any functionality you
don't need. Also remove the ability to add admins by force (i.e.
removing the files that do it) after you've added the necessary admins.

	Crackers must have bots that surf the web looking for PHP-Nuke sites,
because you'll see a lot of them go down at the hands of the same
cracker each time a vulnerability is found.

> phpWCMS
> phpWebSite
> Post-Nuke

	I'm not sure about phpWCMS but phpWebSite and Post-Nuke are both
decedents from PHP-Nuke, again, be wary.

> Siteframe
> Xoops

	Xoops -- I think -- might be a distant relative of Nuke, I'm not sure.
It looks OK, but I think if you are looking for more of a web site-like
thing, I'd go with Mambo or Metadot (my preferred solution).

	If you want a news site/blog, go with WordPress, I'd suggest. I run a
homegrown blogging tool on my personal site, but I won't recommend it
because it has its own failings. I'm presently writing my own CMS for
both my blog and OfB. It may have its own glitches, but the casual
cracker is discouraged by security through obscurity.

	-Tim

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |