[CS-FSLUG] [OT] Domain Name Registration - privacy?

Brian Derr bderr at myrealbox.com
Fri Dec 3 07:04:40 CST 2004

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 03:51:30PM -0500, K Montgomery wrote:
[...]
> As I understand, the contact information (such as postal address) of a
> domain's registrant is made public in the WHOIS database.  For private
> individuals, I'd think that would be a big privacy concern.

> I want to register a domain, and that's the only worry holding me back.

Yes, legally you have to use your current name/address, etc.  However,
there is at least one (probably more) companies out there that let you
use their company name as contact information.  If you whois
brianandkellyderr.com you'll see that I have an account with Domains by
Proxy.  I provide them with my current address, etc and they put their
contact information in the whois record.  It does cost a few dollars per
year but I thought it was a good deal to protect privacy.

http://www.domainsbyproxy.com is the URL I believe.
http://www.godaddy.com is who I registered my domain through and they
have the proxy service as an option during registration.

Brian

--
The just man walketh in his integrity:
his children are blessed after him.  -- Proverbs 20:7