[CS-FSLUG] [OT] Domain Name Registration - privacy?

David Aikema daikema at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 02:00:41 CST 2004

Some registrars allow you to bounce your mail through them.  My usual
registrar (Namecheap.com), offers something called whoisguard ... they
say it's a $4/year feature, but I think it's been free with domain
purchase ever since they brought it in.  I'm not quite sure what it
all includes.

I also have a .ca domain registered with domainsatcost.ca and they
offer something somewhat similar (they even use randomly generated
email addresses, changed monthly, as forwarders to your site ---
beware their fees for if you want to transfer a domain out though.

(Note that although I have domains with both registrars, I'm not using
their privacy features)

On the topic of privacy concerns, I have to say that I agree with you.
 There's progress looming on the .ca front - see
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1101078609533&call_pageid=970599119419
- but for the more typical domains the privacy concerns do remain.

I actually have a free voicemail/fax account via j2.com which is
attached to my whois listings to avoid giving out my phone number -
anything sent there appears in my email (I can't recall whether or not
they support Linux).  I honestly don't even know which state the phone
numberis local to (815-361-5942 ... Illinois or something?), but other
than verifying it's operation once or twice a year, it basically sits
unused.

David