[CS-FSLUG] Alpha course

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Thu Dec 2 20:38:02 CST 2004

That's good to hear, Kathy. Alas, I wasn't able to attend the Alpha
course at my church (which, ironically, I suggested we have), but I
have read a portion of Nicky Gumbel's excellent companion book --
Questions of Life.

At any rate, to respond to the original post concerning an article
critiquing Alpha, I think the anti-Alpha article is so far off its hard
to even begin to critique. They seem to mostly go after what they see
missing in the program, but they overlook the fact that it is a
"Christianity 101" type course -- it should be the BEGINNING of the
journey, not the end. Therefore, it is important to emphasize the
basics on issues like sin, not go into the theological minutia that is
just going to confuse new Christians and seekers. Don't get me wrong,
it should be truthful and not misleading, but it needn't get into
everything right off the bat.

Moreover, it criticizes the idea that being filled with the Spirit has
external results. If it does not, then faith is dead (James 2:20). This
isn't a question of salvation but the fruits of the Spirit.

Frankly, this sounds sort of like a critique I saw from a Lutheran
magazine on the Left Behind series a few years back. It was so worried
about details -- non-important ones -- that it missed the mark. Rather
than lauding the fact that millions of non-believers were reading the
Gospel that is presented over, and over and over in the series, it went
on a tirade on why it was wrong and people should not read it.

Alpha seems to be bringing a lot of people into the Body of Christ. If
we can tell a tree by its fruit, and this tree's fruit is bringing
people to Christ, it seems to me it would be better to write an article
on how to supplement Alpha rather than merely criticize it.

As an aside, what's the quick jab at CCM all about at the end? Don't
tell me they think Christians shouldn't listen to Christian music
either...

	-Tim

On Aug 24, 2004, at 10:18 PM, K Montgomery wrote:

> Christopher Rose wrote:
>
>> Works now. Oh, and goto http://www.luthercomment.org for an
>> interesting article on the alpha program. I do not recommend that
>> program to anyone.
>>
>> In Christ,
>>
>> Christopher
>>
> Lest the opposite point of view be neglected, I'll testify that I've
> experienced the Alpha program and think it's fantastic.  The presenter
> on the videos has a great sense of humor and explains the various
> facets of Christianity in a straightforward, non-threatening way.  I
> know people who came to the Lord as a result of this course.
>
> Of course, I'd recommend anyone to watch the videos and judge for
> themselves before implementing Alpha in their organization.
>
> - Kathy

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |