[CS-FSLUG] ON THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION CRISIS IN UKRAINE

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Thu Dec 2 10:23:09 CST 2004

A Publication of the ORTHODOX CHRISTIAN LAITY

 The Orthodox Christian News Service

Published by the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA, November 24, 2004

ON THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION CRISIS IN UKRAINE

by the Permanent Conference of Ukrainian Orthodox Bishops Beyond the Borders
of Ukraine

On the 13th Anniversary of the Independence of Ukraine a few months ago we
wrote:

"On this auspicious and joyful occasion we remind ourselves, those who now
govern and those who will govern in the future that Ukraine was not founded
as a secular state, but, by the will of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit,
sanctified by the apostolic presence - that of St. Andrew, the First-Called -
and nurtured by the deeds of countless holy men whose lives reflected the
seal of the Gift of the Holy Spirit.

"On this particular anniversary, many in Ukraine find themselves enmeshed in
the web of emotion of pre-election machinations.  We are reminded of the
lofty concepts of righteousness, justice and dedicated service to humanity
proclaimed in Holy Scripture, obligations which are incumbent upon all its
citizenry and not just a select few.  Centuries ago the Divine Teacher from
Nazareth reminded us of our responsibility to render to the One, Eternal God
that which pertains to Him and to secular government that which pertains to
it."

It continues to be our prayer that this wise counsel given by our Lord will
guide all the citizens of Ukraine entrusted with the spiritual and secular
stewardship of the nation will be heeded during these very difficult days
following an obviously unjust electoral process. The lack of validity in the
recent presidential elections is confirmed at all levels of Ukrainian
government and society - from the humble single participant in the vote to
some of the most important lofty members of the current Presidential
administration.  Most governments of the world have, indeed, notified Ukraine
of the significant consequences of not investigating the fraud evident in the
electoral process.

An unprecedented reaction of the population of Ukraine is being witnessed by
the entire world, which places an enormous moral responsibility upon the key
figures involved in the elections - Mr. Kuchma, Mr. Yuschenko and Mr.
Yanukovich.  It is good news to learn of recent statements of willingness to
meet and compromise made by each of them and we must pray that they act
promptly in this regard.  It is also a good thing to witness the followers of
both the presidential candidates mingling in the streets of Kyiv - in some
photos actually holding hands and opposing flags - discussing the results of
the elections and what Ukraine's future might be.

We cannot simplify the issues involved in this crisis by portraying Yuschenko
as a friend of the West and Yanukovich as a friend of Moscow.  Both have, by
their public statements during the campaign, proven themselves to be more
broad-minded than this.  Neither can we simply say after 13 years of
independence that this is the battle between "good" and "evil". That battle
has already been won.  We must trust that God's Guidance will prevail and
that the voice of the people of Ukraine will ultimately be heard and
responded to by all those who hold power and authority at every level of
government.

As we offer Thanksgiving to God Almighty for His bountiful blessings upon the
nations we serve, we call upon all the faithful of our Holy Ukrainian
Orthodox Church, throughout the world, to pray fervently for a just and
peaceful resolution to the most significant crisis Ukraine has experienced
since her declaration of independence after the collapse of the Soviet Union
and to pray for the people of Ukraine - that they may remain peaceful and
positive in their outlook and avoid all violence of any kind.  We, who
protested for 75 years about the great loss of life in Ukraine for political
purposes or "principles", cannot justify physical harm or death inflicted
upon anyone in this major crisis.

May God continue to grant us the Grace to continue trusting in Him and His
Mercy as we did throughout the decades of oppression and repression, knowing
that the ultimate victory of His Goodness will once again prevail.

"ALMIGHTY GOD, ALL RIGHTEOUS AND ALL MERCIFUL, OUR FATHER AND CREATOR AND OUR
ONE HOPE.  LOOK UPON YOUR PEOPLE WHO RECOGNIZED YOU AS THE TRUE GOD AND WHO
FOR OVER ONE THOUSAND YEARS HAVE FOLLOWED THE COMMANDMENTS, WHICH PRINCE AND
ST. VOLODYMYR ACCEPTED AND GAVE TO HIS UKRAINIAN PEOPLE.  YOUR MERCY HAS BEEN
VICTORIOUS OVER ALL THE HISTORICAL THREATS TO OUR NATION'S VERY EXISTENCE.
COGNIZANT OF OUR SINS AND TRANSGRESSIONS BEFORE YOU - BOTH OUR OWN AND THOSE
OF OUR ANCESTORS - WE BESEECH YOU, LOOK DOWN UPON THE PEOPLE OF UKRAINE
DURING THIS TIME OF CRISIS.  MAINTAIN THE PEACE AND UNITY OF THE NATION IN
THE FACE OF INJUSTICE AND DISHONESTY.  ENABLE OUR LEADERS TO BEGIN A NEW ERA
OF OPENNESS AND COOPERATION IN THE BUILDING OF A SOCIETY BASED ON THE RULE OF
LAW AND UPON YOUR COMMANDMENTS.  ENABLE OUR PEOPLE TO COMPREHEND THE SANCTITY
OF LIFE AND ACT SOLELY OUT OF LOVE FOR YOU AND FOR ONE ANOTHER.  WITH A
SINGLE VOICE, WITH ONE HEART AND ONE MIND WE ASK THIS OF YOU AND IN THE
SPIRIT OF THANKSGIVING WE GLORIFY YOU - FATHER, SON AND HOLY SPIRIT, NOW AND
EVER AND UNTO THE AGES OF AGES.  AMEN"

 In the Love of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ,

 + Wasyly, Metropolitan - Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada
 + Constantine, Metropolitan - Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA and
Diaspora
 + John, Archbishop - Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada
 + Antony, Archbishop - Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA
 + Vsevolod, Archbishop - Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA
 + Ioan, Archbishop - Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Diaspora
 + Yurij, Archbishop - Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada
 + Jeremiah, Bishop - Ukrainian Orthodox Church, South American Eparchy

--
"As Internet technology itself vaults into new areas, so too does the
Microsoft monopoly and its tried-and-true bag of tricks."