[OFB Cafe] My Droid Preview

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Tue Nov 3 20:40:53 CST 2009

On Nov 3, 2009, at 12:17 AM, Jens Benecke wrote:

>> 1.) Amazon.com: it does an amazing job of analyzing a photo and
>> finding the product you've taken a picture of (complete with
>> pricing and ability to order right away). I'm not sure if Amazon.de
>> is supported.
>
> That’s nice (but it requires to be online, right?).

	Yes, indeed it does. Of course, many stores -- at least in the States
-- offer free Wi-Fi, so even if you don't have any sort of data plan,
I've found there is usually a connection out there when I need the app
(I do have a data plan though, AT&T won't sell it without and now I've
gotten use to having it).

> T-Mobile is advertising something similar to music here. Point your
> microphone where the music is, the phone will tell you what song it
> is.

	Yeah, I've seen that. There are a couple (at least) of free iPhone
apps that do that too -- Shazam and Midomi. The former is more
accurate, but the latter will even report back based on humming, one's
own singing or typing in lyrics... Shazam only does stuff released as
a recording, last I checked.

>> 2.) Facebook.
>
> Don’t use Facebook or other social networking sites.
> People who want to befriend me must meet me in person, not click a
> button. ;)

	Good point. Actually, I delete friend requests from folks I don't
know from elsewhere. :-) Of course, staying off avoids the problem of
seeming mean like that, I guess.

>> 3.) TouchTerm (a very nice little SSH client).
>
> That’s nice.

	It has saved me a few times.

>> Navigon's GPS program is pretty handy too, though I think if I were
>> buying now, I'd wait it out and see if Google Maps Navigation comes
>> to the iPhone. It's a lot nicer in most ways, save the fact that it
>> requires a data connection in range to function.
>
> I’m looking out for a navigation solution.
> I have a Medion navigation system but the maps data is from 2007 and
> it is rather not fun to use (but it was cheap).

	The Navigon one works pretty well if you don't mind the rather hefty
1.4 GB of space it requires. I think they are even promising regular
map updates. I also believe they just added traffic updates as an
optional service.