[OFB Cafe] My Droid Preview

Jens Benecke jens at spamfreemail.de
Tue Nov 3 00:17:17 CST 2009

Am 02.11.2009 um 23:01 schrieb Timothy Butler:

>> The 3GS was on offer here as well but I’d have had to pay €200
>> extra to get it. I didn’t think that was worth the effort. (Is it?)
> It's a nice upgrade, but not an absolutely huge one. Over the
> original 2G iPhone, absolutely, but over the 3G, I think two hundred
> euros would be nicer to have. ;-)

Right. Thanks, I thought so too. :-)

>> You’re right about the apps. There is some utility in having a
>> phone that can do more than actually phone people. Even more so,
>> since I don’t really use the phone that often. :-) Since moving to
>> Mac OS and using Mac-centric applications more and more (I am now
>> using iWork 09 more often than OpenOffice, for example), most small
>> tools I have begun to like have *some* iPhone counterpart which
>> makes life a little easier or is simple fun to use.
>
> Yup. I have three favorite apps, I guess, besides the built in ones:
> 1.) Amazon.com: it does an amazing job of analyzing a photo and
> finding the product you've taken a picture of (complete with pricing
> and ability to order right away). I'm not sure if Amazon.de is
> supported.

That’s nice (but it requires to be online, right?).
T-Mobile is advertising something similar to music here. Point your
microphone where the music is, the phone will tell you what song it is.

> 2.) Facebook.

Don’t use Facebook or other social networking sites.
People who want to befriend me must meet me in person, not click a
button. ;)

> 3.) TouchTerm (a very nice little SSH client).

That’s nice.

> Navigon's GPS program is pretty handy too, though I think if I were
> buying now, I'd wait it out and see if Google Maps Navigation comes
> to the iPhone. It's a lot nicer in most ways, save the fact that it
> requires a data connection in range to function.

I’m looking out for a navigation solution.
I have a Medion navigation system but the maps data is from 2007 and
it is rather not fun to use (but it was cheap).

>> What I cannot really understand is why so many „other“ phones don’t
>> get the most basic simple things right - what use is a touchscreen
>> phone if the buttons are too small or the reaction of the OS is too
>> slow, and what good is a mobile phone in the first place if the
>> sound quality is so bad you can’t properly understand people?
>
> A very good question.
>
>> Anyway, I’ll keep you updated. My iPhone will come unlocked and
>> I’ll just continue using my cheap prepaid SIM card and pay my
>> couple euros per month (right now I pay 9 cents per minute and SMS).
>
> I look forward to hearing how it goes!

Will keep you updated.

--
Jens Benecke - jens at spamfreemail.de - www.jensbenecke.de