[OFB Cafe] Monitoring network traffic

Fred Smith fps at xicada.com
Wed Sep 17 16:10:54 CDT 2008

Any Linux system keeps a traffic log on a per interface basis.  On 32
bit systems, these counters roll over at 2 GiB, but on 64 bit systems
can go pretty high:

          RX packets:16070432954 errors:32 dropped:2158 overruns:0 frame:32
          TX packets:20705025673 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:8678293391038 (7.8 TiB)  TX bytes:23354712671929 (21.2 TiB)

The downside of this counter is that it gets reset on reboot, and
can't practically be reset any other way (you have to unload the
interface driver module to do it), but I've seen people who toss that
count into a file every night at the same point and come away with
daily statistics by simply subtracting the previous night's count.

-Fred