[OFB Cafe] Monitoring network traffic

Rick Bowers rwbowers at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 21:49:33 CDT 2008

At Wednesday 9/17/2008 17:10, you wrote:
>Any Linux system keeps a traffic log on a per interface basis.  On 32
>bit systems, these counters roll over at 2 GiB, but on 64 bit systems
>can go pretty high:
>
>           RX packets:16070432954 errors:32 dropped:2158 overruns:0 frame:32
>           TX packets:20705025673 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>           RX bytes:8678293391038 (7.8 TiB)  TX bytes:23354712671929
> (21.2 TiB)
>
>The downside of this counter is that it gets reset on reboot, and
>can't practically be reset any other way (you have to unload the
>interface driver module to do it), but I've seen people who toss that
>count into a file every night at the same point and come away with
>daily statistics by simply subtracting the previous night's count.
>
>-Fred

So, I could setup my server in fire wall mode and track the counters.
I assume I only need the RX bytes: and TX bytes:

Where do these counters live (what command did you type to get this
display)? Do you have any scripts to capture the data? I assume I'd
run a cron job nightly.

What happens when the counter reaches 2GB (my system is
32-bit)?  Does it roll over to zero? So I'd need to accommodate that as well.

~Rick