[OFB Cafe] Monitoring network traffic

Rick Bowers rwbowers at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 15:36:04 CDT 2008

Effective October 1, Comcast will be limiting customers to
250GB/month of data. They say they will "reprimand" a user after the
first offence and cut them off for the second offense -- possibly for
6 - 9 months.

Since I am a Comcast customer, and I work mostly from home, I would
like to monitor my usage. Comcast says they have no tools.

I'm pretty sure i don't use anywhere close to 250GB/month but I'd
like to know for sure. I use Vonage for my phone and use 30 - 50
hours per month. I'm often doing demos, or watching demos, using Live
Meeting and other web-based services. I also need to transfer large
files occasionally.

I've done some Googling and have found a few applications that
monitor network traffic. But they run on a single server.

I have two Windows machines (a desktop and a laptop), a linux server
for my mail/web/FTP and a couple of TiVos. I need something that,
maybe, sits in front of everything.

My web/mail/FTP server can also act as a fire wall. It's running SME
Server (formerly e-smith) so perhaps I could run something on that.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

~Rick