[OFB Cafe] Determining Which Machine is Serving Something

Fred Smith fps at xicada.com
Tue Sep 16 16:04:47 CDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 4:10 PM, Timothy Butler <tbutler at ofb.biz> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>        I've been brought on as a consultant to help a smallish college's not-
> tech oriented web designer with some issues. The problem is the old,
> technically oriented web designer left without leaving anyone with
> much information about how things are configured.
>
>        I'm trying to figure out which server is hosting webmail.mobap.edu:
> 2048 . I have access to mobap.edu and webmail.mobap.edu, and cannot
> find the EZproxy program that runs on port 2048 on either of them --
> yet the program is there. I've observed that the latter address has an
> NAT'ed IP address from the inside, so my best guess is that port 2048
> is redirected to a different machine than webmail,mobap.edu itself.
> Any suggestions on how in the world I might isolate where that machine
> is without obtaining access to the router that is doing the NAT port
> redirection?

I think the best way to check is to use the proxy to access some other
server, and then check the access logs on the server you accessed to
figure out where the proxied request came from.

eg.  ask EZProxy to access http://webmail.mobap.edu/, then check
webmail.mobap.edu's web logs to get the IP of the EZProxy system.

-Fred