[OFB Cafe] Time Magazine and NY Times on Sarah Palin

Chris Olson chris.olson at live.com
Thu Sep 4 08:17:59 CDT 2008

From: Chris Olson

  It's more like 99.99% of so-called "Christians" I've ever met work in mysterious ways because they're brainwashed into believing in twisted myths.

I have to relay this story of a "Born Again Christian" that went to our church, which was also an Assembly of God church.  This story took place about two months before we got kicked out of the church.

There was this irritating little man, he was an insurance salesman which made him even more irritating, but he was a devout "Christian" and was in with the Big Wigs in the church - deacons and men's group and all that stuff.  This guy had a long history of abusing his wife and he finally got arrested one day on a domestic when he beat his wife up and she'd had enough.  He ended up in the County Mental Facility on a three-day cool down/evaluation thing, and she filed a restraining order and divorce.

So, I think it was about 3 or 4 months after this happened this little man comes to church with his new girlfriend.  These people in this church get up and give this "testimony" they called it, where they tell everybody else about how great God is because of what happened in their life.  So this guys gets up to give "testimony".

He told all of us that God brought this new girlfriend into his life, that he prayed about it and it was "God's will" that they get married, except for one problem;  his ex-wife who he wasn't divorced from yet.  He told us that God had shown him that she was a sinner because she broke their marriage vows by filing for this divorce.  It was "until death do us part" and he couldn't marry this new babe and stay in good standing in the congregation, so he asked the congregation to pray for him that God would rub out his ex-wife so he could marry this new one.  That wasn't the bad part - all these "Christians" were stupid enough to do it - it was like this guy was perfect and he had never done anything wrong, simply because he got up and spouted all this "Christian" and bible bullshit.

I never went to church much but my wife got into this "Christian" stuff after we got married and she's the only reason I was in that church in the first place - because she wanted to go there.  On the way home I told her, "I ain't goin' to that frickin' place no more because those people are weird."  She didn't quite see it my way until a couple months later when we got kicked out because they decided my wife was a "sinner" simply for wearing a mini-dress to church.
--
Chris