[OFB Cafe] another win98 question

dep dep at drippingwithirony.com
Sun Jul 20 13:46:33 CDT 2008

said Rick:

| Again, taking into consideration that my brain cells have aged, I think
| the full CD also updates Windows 98 to Windows 98SE.
|
| You should be able to boot into Win98 and put the Win98 CD. It will
| either autorun and ask if you want to install Win98SE or you can browse
| to the CD and click "setup.exe". It *may* be in the D:\i386 directory.

many thanks. i've been doing notebook hard drive musical chairs this
afternoon -- there was brief danger of my doing something useful, but it
passed -- and have discovered among other things that kubuntu 7.10 will
not boot on a 64mb p-166.

in the course of it, i also realized that i have a little thinkpad 240 that
has a celeron 400 and, i dunno, 192 megs of memory or some such and that
will run, albeit very slowly, kubuntu 7.10.

if i can get the little linksys wireless pcmcia card to work on it, then i
can put the libretto back in the closet until it falls victim to another
bright idea.

of course, getting the wireless to work is a substantial "if."

funny how time passes. i got the 240 about five years ago, and it was an
ibm refurb even then. have taken good care of it, remember how excited i
was when it arrived, and in some part of my mind it's the "new" notebook,
even though i have a tp t42 with a fast chip and a gig and a half of ram.

anyway, would like to put this one to good use.

(heavens -- upstairs i have a tp500 from 1993, b/w screen and a 386sx-25
chip . . . and it still works. ran OS/2 on it for years.)

so. now to try to make the linksys card work. oh, boy.
--
dep

Get "Right By Me," the exciting new album from Marjorie Thompson
available now at http://www.marjoriethompson.com