[OFB Cafe] Old Computers for Old Guys

Rick Bowers rwbowers at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 11:23:37 CDT 2008

At Tuesday 7/15/2008 22:01, you wrote:
>said Rick Bowers:
>
>| Interesting idea. I've probably got a version or two of OS/2 around
>| here somewhere. Probably v3.0 or 3.1??
>
>could well be -- i've got every version from 2.0 onward, including one
>version of the ecomstation thing, which in my estimation was awful though
>maybe they've fixed it. i even have it bootable here on a thinkpad.
>
>| I got rid of my concurrent UNIX and (original) SCO UNIX when a moved
>| a while back. I've still got lots of antique software around if
>| anyone misses things from their past too much.
>
>i have everything also, including aforementioned microsoft bob in original
>box (5.25" floppy, though). a friend who refused to listen to instructions
>and who therefore really screwed up his machine had me come to town to fix
>it a few years ago, when he was still on 3.1; so after i got the machine
>working i installed bob on it. about a week later he bought a mac.
>
>i have corel draw for OS/2, and word/dos 3.0 onward. procomm 2.42 and 2.43,
>the shareware, and procomm plus, of course. what a great app that was.
>back when going online was special. oh, and prodigy 1.0, along with the
>set of utilities that made its cartoonish interface almost useful.
>
>all that stuff, which i haul from place to place -- along with my darkroom
>equipment. when i moved here three years ago i brought teo omega and one
>big durst enlargers, and trays and tanks and dryers and everything,
>leaving valuable stuff behind to make room. i had been here for a week
>when i eastman kodak announced it was no longer making black-and-white
>chemistry. alas.
>
>--
>dep

I also used to do a lot of photography work. I've recently been
thinking about what to do with my older film SLRs -- all Minoltas. I
wish I could use the lenses for a digital SLR, but Sony bought
Minolta and the older lenses don't work with the new bodies.

I haven't done developing for many years, but I still have some film
tanks, trays and other darkroom "stuff". I had a really nice print
dryer, but don't know where it is at the moment. I also moved about 3
years ago -- with all my "stuff" -- and lots of it got put into storage.

I'm looking to give away my darkroom items if anyone is interested.
My son now does photography but will only work with large format
film. Everything else he does in digital format. He doesn't want any
of my stuff.

I didn't realize B&W film was discontinued by Kodak, although it
doesn't surprise me.

~Rick