[OFB Cafe] Gore's New Energy Device

Derek Broughton auspex at pointerstop.ca
Mon Jul 14 14:46:32 CDT 2008

On July 14, 2008 15:15:41 Chris Olson wrote:

> On a more practical note, we're finally getting some return on the hundreds
> of tons of garbage per day that the Twin Cities Metro hauls almost 150
> miles one way and dumps in our beautiful Wisconsin North Woods (as far as
> I'm concerned, I'd just as soon see those city slickers get buried in their
> own garbage in their own streets, and rot with it, but that's another
> rant).  Dairyland Power (I'm on the Board of Directors) installed a 1.7 mW

Those would be MW, Chris :-)

> gas turbine genset on the Sarona, WI landfill, that runs on methane
> generated in the landfill, and it's now fully operational!

So you're still playing with gas turbines!  This sounds great - more places
should be using them.  1.7MW isn't huge, but it's power that otherwise goes
to waste (and producing CO2 and water from the methane _reduces_ the amount
of greenhouse gas created by the landfill), and it could power a small town.
--
derek