[OFB Cafe] Checkin' out the Café

Fred Smith fps at xicada.com
Fri Jul 11 06:57:40 CDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 12:46 AM, Chris Olson <chris.olson at live.com> wrote:

> [...]

Well, I can't say I've tested it that precisely, since I don't have a
speedometer or GPS, but I'm pretty sure my top speed is just about 60
mph, based on the time it takes me to travel certain distances.
Could be that my boat (the 1977 model) is lighter than the newer
models, or that it planes better because it's essentially a flat
bottom boat whereas the new ones are modified deep v's.  I'm heading
out this weekend with it, so I'll see what I can do to time
time-to-plane and time to top speed.

> I never got into sailboats too much, but don't most sailboats in the 30+ foot class have a little onboard diesel genset for electrical power, and usually a little one or two cylinder diesel engine for propulsion when docking, etc.?

Yeah, most have around a 30 to 50 hp diesel (usually yanmar or atomic
4) that recharges the house batteries and gives you a kick when
there's no wind. I plan on keeping the house batteries charged with a
solar panel and a small wind generator, and getting a mooring I can
sail to, to reduce the amount of time spent with the engine running.