[OFB Cafe] Checkin' out the Café

Chris Olson chris.olson at live.com
Thu Jul 10 23:46:37 CDT 2008

From: Fred Smith
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 10:01 PM
To: An Open Discussion Forum on Just About Everything,Especially for Techies.
Subject: Re: [OFB Cafe] Checkin' out the Café

> The 90 hp engine on my boat is 17 years old;  it still starts
> the first time, every time, even after spending a winter in the back
> yard, and will still lift the 1700 lb boat straight out of the water
> and hit 60 mph in under 5 seconds

That's a pretty healthy Evvie 88 Special.  I got all the Mercury testing info from the salesman at Crystal-Pierz Marine when I bought my new outboard and looking thru it I see Mercury Marine tested their 90 hp EFI four-stroke on a Boston Whaler 170 Montauk and their top speed was 42.8 mph @ 5,900 rpm.  0-30 acceleration time was 9.2 seconds.  Time-to-plane from dead in the water was 5.8 seconds.  Best fuel economy was at 3,500 rpm - 3.2 gph @ 22.3 mph.

I'd scan it to PDF and post it, but evidently Tim has the list software set up to remove all formatting from emails (what's the deal with that?), so I assume it would also refuse to send out a PDF.

> ..........I've already seen dozens of boats in that
> price range, which I don't consider expensive for something with 2
> bedrooms, a bathroom, and the ability to go around the world without
> spending a dime on gas.

I never got into sailboats too much, but don't most sailboats in the 30+ foot class have a little onboard diesel genset for electrical power, and usually a little one or two cylinder diesel engine for propulsion when docking, etc.?
--
Chris