[OFB Cafe] anybody know anything about kde icon themes?

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Fri Jan 25 12:23:18 CST 2008

On January 24, 2008 22:31:05 dep wrote:
> said Timothy Butler:
> | 	Yes, what could be better than Debian's package manager? I love apt-
> | get. I almost could have been sold on a vanilla Debian install after
> | a short time perched there. If Ubuntu had been out a few years
> | earlier, it might have saved me from jumping off the Linux island.
>
> kubuntu is extremely cool.
> but if there'd been a debian distro that was this easy a decade ago, there
> would be a lot more linux desktops. also, i'd have saved probably two or
> three months of work!

Glad to see some life on the old list after all this time.

I've been firmly wedded to KDE & Debian-based distros since Corel Linux 1.0.

I keep installing Gnome, and then wondering why on earth I did that... (and
spending the next 6 months trying to get rid of it all, again).

But I really wanted to comment on "a debian distro that was this easy a decade
ago".  One of the things that I continually here whining about with (k)ubuntu
is "you have to be able to play DVDs out of the box!" because apparently
everybody wants that.  Well, I don't, and have never bothered to set up my
system to play a DVD until last week, when I had a DVD that had to be back at
the library and enough time to kill that I could watch it on my laptop.  So I
figured, I don't have it set up on the Linux laptop, so I'll boot into that
stupid Vista partition I still have (and never use).  _Windows_ doesn't come
with a DVD capable media player either!  For Windows Media Player you have to
buy a plugin.  Now, I know practically every machine sold (including mine in
it's original form) has a third-party DVD player, but not Windows itself, and
not that machine or the desktop at work.  So I popped back into Kubuntu, got
an error message as expected, googled, installed the required packages and
ran regionset (the only part that was at all awkward - that should really
have been handled by debconf when I installed the package).  Presto, 10
minutes (or less) to playing a DVD.  It wouldn't have been easier in Windows.
--
derek