[OFB Cafe] Tech Buzz: Who Deserves the Tech Vote?

Derek Broughton auspex at pointerstop.ca
Mon Aug 25 21:50:51 CDT 2008

On August 25, 2008 23:38:13 Fred A. Miller wrote:
> Derek Broughton wrote:
> > On August 22, 2008 23:26:15 Timothy Butler wrote:
> >> 	FEMA did not work well, but honestly, people should not need FEMA.
> >> Who in their right mind lives in a city below sea level anyway? But,
> >> that's neither here nor there I suppose.
> >
> > Poor people without options.  People who once upon a time, _didn't_ live
> > 14 feet below sea level, but whose homes have been steadily subsiding
> > because _rich_ people control policy.
>
> [snip]
>
> Oh, that's funny. NO....we're on 5th generation welfare because liberals
> KEEP the
> votes that way!! The rich don't keep anyone poor, nor uneducated. People
> keep
> themselves poor, quit school early and turn to crime.......ON their own.
> They take the easy way out.

Yeah, yeah.  Nevertheless, people don't _choose_ to live in those
circumstances, even if they don't choose to get themselves out.  But you're
terribly naive if you think all poor people had options.

It certainly wasn't the poor people in New Orleans who are causing it to
continually subside even further below sea level, and if the rich people who
set policy aren't actively trying to harm the poor, they certainly don't care
if they damage property values in the poor parts of town, making it
impossible for those who can afford property to sell it again.

It's also pretty naive to say the rich don't keep anyone uneducated.  How many
studies do you need to see that say schools in poor areas are underfunded.
If you keep the poor uneducated, you get what you deserve in the end.
--
derek