[OFB Cafe] Tech Buzz: Who Deserves the Tech Vote?

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Mon Aug 25 23:01:49 CDT 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:
> On August 25, 2008 23:38:13 Fred A. Miller wrote:
>> Derek Broughton wrote:
>>> Poor people without options.  People who once upon a time, _didn't_ live
>>> 14 feet below sea level, but whose homes have been steadily subsiding
>>> because _rich_ people control policy.
>> [snip]
>>
>> Oh, that's funny. NO....we're on 5th generation welfare because liberals
>> KEEP the
>> votes that way!! The rich don't keep anyone poor, nor uneducated. People
>> keep
>> themselves poor, quit school early and turn to crime.......ON their own.
>> They take the easy way out.
>
> Yeah, yeah.  Nevertheless, people don't _choose_ to live in those
> circumstances, even if they don't choose to get themselves out.  But you're
> terribly naive if you think all poor people had options.

Of course not, but MOST do. But, that means you have to work to improve
your lot in life.

> It certainly wasn't the poor people in New Orleans who are causing it to
> continually subside even further below sea level, and if the rich people who
> set policy aren't actively trying to harm the poor, they certainly don't care
> if they damage property values in the poor parts of town, making it
> impossible for those who can afford property to sell it again.

You nor I really know all "who" is responsible.....we don't live there.
I do know
they mayor of New Orleans is certainly in part responsible to some
extent based
on the public knowledge of Fed. money given to fix problems properly and
the
the money was squandered on other "things." LA has a history of graft
that may
only be exceeded by Arkansas when the Clintons were there. You can't blame
bad politicians all on the rich.

> It's also pretty naive to say the rich don't keep anyone uneducated.  How many
> studies do you need to see that say schools in poor areas are underfunded.
> If you keep the poor uneducated, you get what you deserve in the end.

True, in some cases, and NOT in most. ALL data shows that to continue to
throw
money at our liberally run public schools is a total waste. Without high
standards and
discipline, our schools will continue to fail our youth. As long as
crime pays, and getting
welfare is easy, the cycles most of us are fed up with, and tired of
paying for will
continue.

Fred

--
Linux is an old Latin word meaning, "I don't have
to support your Windows anymore."