[OFB Cafe] Grandpa's advice

Rick Bowers rwbowers at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 09:28:42 CDT 2008

My grandson turned two on July 30. At his birthday party this past
Sunday, my son told me they were expecting their second child.

I have my grandson almost every Sunday. We mostly just hang out
around the house or go to the park since he's still young. As he gets
older, I hope to do more things with him and hope to be able to offer
him advice along the way. Below is a story some of you may enjoy.

~Rick

Grandpa's advice

This is a short story written by a grandson who had a very special
relationship with his Grandpa. Many of us unfortunately were born
after our own Grandpas had passed on and never had the opportunity to
enjoy moments like this. The grandson writes...

I hope this will again confirm that the most important information in
your life won't come from a teacher, the library or the Internet. It
comes from a mentor, and always on a very personal level.

My long-passed grandfather's birthday is coming up and for me it is a
time to reminisce. We used to take long walks and drives together. He
would make special trips to pick me up so I could spend weekends with
him.  I was young when he died. If he were living today and sharing
his pearls of wisdom, I'd be a better man. Those gems were all well
and good, but the one I remember best came from him when I was only 12.

We were sitting in a park, watching children with their mothers
enjoying a beautiful spring day. He told me that one day, I'd find a
woman and start my own family. Then came the jewel in the crown of
grandfatherly advice when he said

"And be sure you marry a woman with small hands."

"Why should I do that, Grandpa?" I asked.

"It makes your pecker look bigger."

It kinda brings a tear to your eye, doesn't it?