[CS-FSLUG] FastCGI

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sun Apr 11 17:50:43 CDT 2021

Thanks, Micah. That’s what I was thinking. There’s apparently something like Python’s WSGI called PSGI, but so far I’ve found it easier to figure out how to implement FastCGI — it’s dead simple so far.

One thing I’ve found conflicting info on that maybe you have a thought on, since it applies across languages, I believe: some people say you should never call exit() on a script being run through FastCGI. Others say it doesn’t matter. My code uses exit in a lot of places where it is important to make sure nothing keeps executing, but there’s not a fatal error. I’ve mostly used it so that I don’t accidentally overlook something continuing on and cause a security hole. However, I’m wondering if I need to remove those calls.

I found one suggestion of using GOTO (which I’ve not used since I played with Basic so many years ago) to go to an empty block of code beyond all the other code as a replacement to exit().

Any thoughts?

Tim

Timothy R. Butler, M.Div
Editor-in-Chief, Open for Business <https://ofb.biz/>