[CS-FSLUG] [Linux] Tentative new distribution: ElectrOS adu7ypeb

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Mon Sep 8 13:51:06 CDT 2014

On 09/08/2014 02:30 PM, Nathan Thompson wrote:
> Even if I were to tell the people working on this distribution that
> they are re-creating the wheel, they would still do it for the
> learning experience.
"The learning experience" is quite likely the single justifiable reason
for forking an entire distribution based on some personal disagreement
or irritation with one component provided by the parent distribution.

I've ranted about this before.  Fragmentation kills.  On the idea that
the result of this KDE3-specific distribution is just a learning
experience, just to provide a one-off for a few people to experiment,
fine, knock yourself out.  But it still represents a net loss of energy
to furthering Linux in the marketplace, energy that would be better
spent elsewhere, and that is the answer to the "Why not?" aspect.

Even at all of this, the heart of this learning experience is
packaging.  One can gain that experience in learning how to generate
packages that fit into an existing distribution's packaging architecture
/without/ having to indulge in the creation of Yet Another Linux
Distribution Fork Monstrosity.

See http://karl.kleinpaste.org/.../rants/fragment.text (from this
mailing list) which also regarded, as it happens, the question of choice
of desktop...because evidently nobody anywhere has ever been happy with
anyone else's desktop, for some reason that escapes me.

[ I had to re-send this because ofb.biz blew me off /this/ time, but not
for my /previous/ note half an hour before, with a bounce-o-gram
complaining that my message was "unsolicited."  Um, bite me, OK?  Tune
your mailer better.  The undesired appendage on Subject is what the
bounce-o-gram required of me for this to get through this time. ]