[CS-FSLUG] 80Gb disk claims to be 2.2Tb disk

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Sun Sep 8 07:55:23 CDT 2013

Hi,
I believe there are two places where the heads and cylinder
information, in the partition space, and on the drive itself (in the
chipset).  When the drive first connects, if there is no information
in the partition area, it gets the partition and cyllinder
information from the disk bios.  But that can be overridden by the
partition information.

Assuming you do not have any information on the drive, the first (and
simplest) thing to do is to write a ton of zeroes to the start of the
drive, overwriting the partition info.
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/[DRIVE] count=2048 bs=1024
(where DRIVE is sda, sdb, sdc, or whatever your drive is)
After you do this, you should disconnect the drive and reconnect it
(or reboot) to ensure that the drive information is re-read instead
of being used from memory.

The second thing you can do is to check to see if there is an updated
firmware for the drive.  (many drives have had updated firmware that
you can download and install).  After the firmware update, I would
zero out the start of the drive (like I mentioned above), disconnect
the drive, and reconnect.  Then try to repartition.

Finally, if you have a Windows box handy, you can try plugging it
into that to see if it recognizes the correct information.  If so,
have Windows partition it for you, then move it back to the Linux box
and see if that recognizes it now with the right info in the partition.

If it is still not reading it properly, then it is most likely an
issue with a dead drive (the chipset that holds the
heads/tracks/cyllinders is not returning the proper information, and
could be bad.)

     - Tim Young