[CS-FSLUG] Microsoft Technology Mandated in GA Colleges?

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Mon Jan 7 00:09:42 CST 2013

I know of a number of Christian universities (Taylor University,
Redeemer College, Calvin College, Cederville, and LeTeourneau) that
use Linux in their teaching of computer science.  I was in charge of
managing the computer labs at Taylor, and have recruited students for
our mission from the other universities listed.  Most of those listed
(I am not as familiar with Redeemer and Cederville, so I cannot speak
for them) are teaching programming for mobile devices using both I-Os
and Android.

I am not familiar with many smaller schools, but the universities
that I have listed are the only ones I have approached.  Basically,
100% of the Christian universities that have fairly good computer
programs have Linux in some form or other as a part of their
curriculum.  Granted, I do not think that the very limited number I
have approached has any hope of being a good pool for being
statistically correct.  I think one would need to have queried a much
higher number of schools for any hope of getting a good sampling.
But, I would wager to say that a good portion of Christian
universities that hope to teach computer skills do use Linux.

     - Tim Young