[CS-FSLUG] Upgrading a Northwood CPU...

Brett Mueller brett at bcmi.net
Wed Sep 12 09:16:15 CDT 2012

On 9/12/2012 06:37, Chad Fluegge wrote:
> I would tend to agree...I think that most of the performance boost is
> going to come from the RAM upgrade.

Especially dependent upon how resource-hungry your particular distro and
desktop environment is.  A lightweight desktop manager can still perform
respectably with limited RAM.

Having replaced a number of 5400 RPM laptop drives with [Crucial] SSDs,
I can vouch for the performance gains in that area, as well.  Wow!  Just
be prepared to "religiously" keep important data backed up.  Although
there are exceptions on both sides, SSDs in general have had higher
failure rates than their mechanical counterparts.  I'd be especially
cautious with a $34 drive.