[CS-FSLUG] Upgrading a Northwood CPU...

Peter J. Vasquez Sr. pjvasquez at baeyogin.com
Wed Sep 12 08:36:47 CDT 2012

Tim,
  While the Prescott is 'faster', it runs hotter, consumes more power,
and has more stages in the pipeline (31 vs. 20 in the Northwood
processor).  The biggest benefit I see is the larger L2 cache of the
Prescott series, which can be an advantage in some applications.  L2
cache could be a very good reason to upgrade, but that benefit may
decrease depending on the application (as the more stages in the
pipeline will affect performance), and you also need to take into
account the larger heat dissipation and power requirements.  Let me
know if this helps.  It's about all I can offer for an older CPU that
I haven't touched in a very long time.  Plus, I'm a software person,
and usually don't pay much attention to the hardware unless it affects
something I'm using or working on.