[CS-FSLUG] OT: How to Get Fired from a Seminary

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Mon Sep 10 10:34:36 CDT 2012

On 09/10/2012 09:53 AM, Mark Clayton wrote:
>> 'Sure appears to be so! I have a suspicion that one of our key problems is
>> >that MOST don't read their Bible for themselves...cover to cover and
>> >FREQUENTLY!! Most are "spoon fed" and unfortunately, by misfits like Joel
>> >Olsteen.....just to mention one of them.
> It takes more than just reading the bible. It's got to read for what
> it really says, not what one want it to say.

That was my intended assumption.

> Sure there's a lot of 'big name' hero worship going on. But I see it
> happening in small conservative churches too. A majority of the congregation 'adores' the
> pastor and/or elders and believes they do no wrong. I see so many people live the
> faith of someone they admire instead of wrestling with their own faith. Are all these
> leaders misfits?

Some, and some aren't.

> Some are, some are even evil. But most are just trying to do too much
> and can't lead the flock they are charged with. This doesn't mean they're bad people,
> just bad leaders.

Some, for sure.

> (I know I was a bad small group leader. I wanted to do a good thing
> but I did more damage than good.) I see such a disconnect between church leaders and the congregants.
> Everyone uses the same words, but there's a difference between what the leaders are
> saying and what the congregation is saying. I can't quite put my finger on what or where
> the disconnect is. It's like one of those things that you catch in your periphery vision
> but it disappears when you focus on it.

'Happens. I'll modify what I said before....more complete. One MUST read
his/her Bible cover to cover and read it daily. One must also be a truth
seeker, NOT what might be considered to be idealistic. God means EXACTLY
what He had written in Scripture.....PERIOD! When a story is told to
make a point, it's obvious that the story isn't necessarily true, but
the point of the story IS true and what God wants all to accept. If one
is a truth seeker, and prays that God will open his heart and mind when
he reads His word, it will be done.

When he says that a man isn't to lie with a man as a woman, nor a woman
to lie with a woman as with a man, He means it!! It's NOT a choice! We
aren't free to pick and choose what commandments He has given us we are
going to follow and which ones we will ignore.

If someone does read their Bible but isn't seeking God's truths, then
they are doomed to their own devices. If they don't read it frequently
and only listen to sermons, then they can be, and frequently are misled.

Fred

--
Apparently, we are supposed to be more angry about what
Mitt Romney does with his money than what Barack Obama