[CS-FSLUG] CardDav and Evolution or Thunderbird

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sat Sep 8 20:16:30 CDT 2012

Hi, everyone,
I have ownCloud synchronizing nicely with my Mac OS X 10.8 system, but would like to use it as well on an Ubuntu system. Unfortunately, neither of the obvious clients -- Thunderbird or Evolution -- will work for me. Thunderbird 15 never seems to show any contacts via CardDav; I think Ogo-connector may be incompatible with Thunderbird 15, even though it kinda-sorta seems to load. Yet, Ubuntu 12.04 does not support Thunderbird's ESR that is compatible with the Ogo-connector. I've thought about building my own Thunderbird package, but was trying to see if I could get this to work with stock stuff for simplicity's sake.

Evolution will connect, and -- very slowly -- it will download off the CardDav server. But, I can't edit contacts (Evolution freezes) and it seems to redownload everything every time I start Evolution, which takes several minutes.

Any suggestions?

(Incidentally, Kontact seems to work, but I really dislike Kontact's user interface...)

Thanks!

Tim
Timothy R. Butler
Discipleship Pastor
Grace Presbyterian Church
timothy.butler at gracepca.net

"The true treasure of the Church is the Most Holy Gospel of the glory and the grace of God." -- Martin Luther