[CS-FSLUG] Ethernet Testing

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Wed Sep 5 10:39:41 CDT 2012

Hi, Peter,

> If you are able to re-crimp, unplug the cable at either end and follow
> the above pinouts while crimping.

	Right now, both ends terminate in the A pattern. I can recrimp...

> Hopefully, if the cable is good,
> you should get a link once plugged in.  On most recent devices, a
> cross-over won't be necessary, so start with a straight cable.  The
> cables being stripped so far (1 ft or more) could definitely be part
> of the problem if the length stripped was also untwisted before coming
> out of the conduit.  If the cable stayed twisted even without the
> sheath, you might be able to get away with it.

Would it be worth trying to retwist the cable? I hate to cut so much off -- and then I'll need to couple the cable to a short cable to get it to the switch... I'm really puzzled why they stripped and untwisted so much of the cable. I guess I can just cut it...

Thanks for your help!

Blessings,
Tim