[CS-FSLUG] problem with a webcam

Cia Watson ciamarie at my180.net
Wed May 9 10:16:34 CDT 2012

On Tue, 8 May 2012 11:03:42 -0500
davidm at hisfeet.net wrote:

> My Grand daughter asked me to put Linux on her Vaio (FZ240E), dual booting
> with Windows Vista Home ---. I did, (Mint11  kernel 2.6.38-8generic ) and
> The camera worked fine right after installation. But when I rebooted, it
> won't turn back on.
>
> The command "lsusb" reveals the camera to be "VGP-VCC8 [R5U870]
>
> I'm at a loss to know how to get it turned back on.  My thinking is that
> the module must be there,or it wouldn't have been working after
> installation.
>
> Where do I go from here? I don't even know which questions to ask.
>
> Dave McMullen

Hi Dave,

I'm not an expert on this topic, I have a small usb connected Kodak webcam
that I use on occasion. I would recommend installing guvcview and whatever
dependencies it wants to install. I prefer it over cheese. And possibly search
in synaptic for v4l (video for linux) related packages. Lastly, there's a
package called cameramonitor that might be helpful, though it'll just give
the on or off status of the camera in the panel monitor tray.

If it's not something you can select as a recording device in guvcview, then
there may be some messages in /var/log/syslog that would be helpful. Or
perhaps someone with a built-in webcam has more suggestions.

Cia W.