[CS-FSLUG] squid and avahi: squid fails to resolve names via mDNS

Mark Clayton clayton256 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 19:52:59 CDT 2012

Hi,

Is anyone here familiar with how squid does it's name resolution? I have a
network mixed with linux and macs so I install avahi on the linux boxes.
Then I installed squid/squidGuard on top of this. But squid can't resolve
servers on the lan: The error is:
The following error was encountered while trying to retrieve the URL:
http://del001599208375.local/
    Unable to determine IP address from host name "del001599208375.local"
The DNS server returned:
    Name Error: The domain name does not exist.
This means that the cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in
the URL. Check if the address is correct.

Does it not use mDNS? Maybe I've got something set up wrong?

Thanks,
Mark
--
claytoncapers.blogspot.com