[CS-FSLUG] Video Formats Comparison

davidm at hisfeet.net davidm at hisfeet.net
Sat Nov 5 13:00:54 CDT 2011

Since we're talking about such things, I have a problem.

I have a copy of the book of Acts in Spanish (word for word NIV) that came
to me in AVI format.  It's more than three hours long.  I converted it
using Openshot to what Openshot calls DVD, but it's much too long for
standard DVD, and appears not to be in the standard DVD format. I need to:

First:  cut the thing approximately in half, and then:
Second:  transform it into actual DVD format so as to distribute it.

Linux video tools are getting much better than they were, but some of them
are still not all that user friendly. I've tried Gopchop, and  Openshot,
to do the splitting.

I haven't yet tried k9copy (maybe could make it fit on one DVD), or
Pitivi, and probably several more that might be thought of for the job.
In the end I need a format that will play well on the cheapest DVD players
available, and I need it to be on one or two standard single layer DVDs.

It may be that the programs I have tried would do the job if I could
understand their rather murky documentation.  Any suggestions?

Dave.