[CS-FSLUG] Video Formats Comparison

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Sat Nov 5 10:35:56 CDT 2011

Well, a huge amount depends on what you want to do with the file.
The issue is that many players only play a limited selection of
file-types.  Do you want it played strictly on computers, or are you
looking at cell-phones, etc?

One very useful tool I have used was "super" (eright-soft) as it has
a very nice collection of formats.  You can tell it the purpose of
the file, and it will select the appropriate encoding.  It still lets
you specify the bitrate, frame-rate, and the other settings that help
you shrink the size of.  And best of all, it uses opensource tools
and encoders to do the actual work.  The ugly side of "super" is that
they have the worst (poorest design I have ever seen) webpage for
downloading their software from.

      - Tim