[CS-FSLUG] need some info on laptops and wifi.

davidm at hisfeet.net davidm at hisfeet.net
Sun Dec 18 11:25:40 CST 2011

I have installed mint11 (Katya) on two computers:

My own laptop is a Compaq Presario V2000, with a Broadcom wireless 'card'
built in.  Although wireless works on this computer under an earlier
version of Mint, (still installed) the wireless seems to be just turned
off in mint11, and pushing the wireless button doesn't get any response.
The little blue light isn't even on.

The other one is an HP Mini 110;  Also with a Broadcom internal 'card'.
On this one, the wireless light is on, so I assume that the unit is ready
to work, but 'cfconfig' gets no response from it. And it doesn't work, of
course, although it was working under Windows, before Windows completely
stopped working. (Windows got to the point that it would boot, but then
immediately reboot without giving any opportunity  to do anything. I have
just blotted out windows, to install linuxMint11.)

My question is this: Where can I find a listing  and 'plain English'
explanation of the “command line” commands that I might need to diagnose
and get these two wireless  systems working?

Dave McM