[CS-FSLUG] Laptop Power Jack

Jon Glass jonglass at usa.net
Sat Dec 17 15:53:45 CST 2011

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 10:40 PM, Ed Hurst <ehurst at soulkiln.org> wrote:
> I horse traded and obtained a decent Latitude D620. However, the power jack
> seems to have been disconnected. That is, the previous owner took it to some
> independent shop to have a wifi module added, and from images I've seen it's
> right next to the power jack, which is on the back edge. The problem arose
> right after, and the shop refused to look into it. Battery works fine, but
> the two or three Dell power bricks which I know work on other systems don't
> work on this thing.

I can't speak for this model, but the power jack is typically soldered
directly to the board, and all-too-frequently, surface-soldered
(soldered on the same side as the component), and very difficult to do
by yourself by hand. If it's on a sub-assembly, you might be better
served by replacing the sub-board, but looking at the external pics, I
have my doubts that this is the case--it would require a whole logic
board replacement.... aha. And I found this:
<http://www.blackmoreit.com/enlargeimage.html?zoomimage=http%3A//images.esellerpro.com/2131/I/592/73/lrgscalePicture%20490.jpg>

and the opposite side:
<http://www.blackmoreit.com/enlargeimage.html?zoomimage=http%3A//images.esellerpro.com/2131/I/592/73/lrgscalePicture%20491.jpg>

It looks like my suspicions are confirmed. On this site, the board
sells for 129£ (not dollars). It shan't be an easy job. I have had a
couple laptops lose either sound or power in this way--I always had to
replace the boards. In my experience, Dells have been fairly easy to
open and look at, so that part I wouldn't see as a problem--but
resoldering that plug...

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

"...earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the
saints." --Jude 3