[CS-FSLUG] Browser Text Editor Application

Davo Smith christiansource at davosmith.co.uk
Tue Sep 28 15:16:36 CDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 1:50 PM, Ed Hurst <ehurst at soulkiln.org> wrote:

> I see a lot of writing about building applications to run in the web
> browser. Is it possible to create a simple webpage on a Windows machine
> which allows the user to load the page locally, and have inside the browsers
> what amounts to a nice plain-text editor? Something that will allow you to
> save the file back to your harddrive?
>
> I've seen some really fine text editors on various websites. I'm wondering
> how complicated it would have to be, but at the very least the spellchecker
> is built into most browsers, just as you have with many text input areas on
> blog sites.

I might be getting this wrong, but would tiddlywiki work for you?
http://www.tiddlywiki.com/

This is a single html file, with built-in javascript and css, which
can save over itself or be saved out to a copy. Good for taking and
organising notes and should be portable to any computer with a
reasonably up-to-date browser (I think it chokes on IE5).

Davo