[CS-FSLUG] Macs and Linux use in CD Vol 80 - Issue 11

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Mon Nov 1 11:11:41 CDT 2010

On Nov 1, 2010, at 11:06 AM, Jon Glass wrote:

> That brings up an entirely different topic. If open source software is
> good, why are all modern Bibles closed, copyrighted, and heavily
> defended? Should Bible translation be (merely) a commercial
> proposition?
>
> Of course, that said, there are three modern Bibles available on
> Sword: ESV, NET and WEB Bibles.

The ESV being on SWORD is a major coup, I think. But, the greater challenge (I suspect) is figuring out how to apply the FOSS model to more niche items such as commentaries (both homiletical and scholarly), lexicons, etc. For example, I'd never get away with turning in a paper using the lexicons available in SWORD. The lack of current UBS/NA and BHS critical editions of Greek and Hebrew are also painful, even ignoring the lack of critical apparatus, etc.

Oddly, the BDB Hebrew lexicon ought to be able to be put into it, given its age (I'd think), but it isn't there.

Is there enough interest in such things to get enough *qualified* volunteers (e.g. experts in the languages with decent reputations) to build alternatives?

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "It may be that  when the angels go about their
Editor, OfB.biz   | task  praising God,  they play only Bach.  I am
tbutler at ofb.biz   | sure,  however,  that when they are together en
timothybutler.us  | famille they play Mozart."
                                                      -- Karl Barth