[CS-FSLUG] Macs and Linux use in CD Vol 80 - Issue 11

Jon Glass jonglass at usa.net
Mon Nov 1 11:06:34 CDT 2010

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 4:44 PM, sjm <sjm.mlists at gmail.com> wrote:
> The one other problem specifically with Bible programs is that many of the
> copyright holders of the popular translations haven't (won't?) release their
> translation to the SWORD project.

That brings up an entirely different topic. If open source software is
good, why are all modern Bibles closed, copyrighted, and heavily
defended? Should Bible translation be (merely) a commercial
proposition?

Of course, that said, there are three modern Bibles available on
Sword: ESV, NET and WEB Bibles.

Actually, this whole topic of Open Source, Linux, Bible resources,
etc. is a topic that is something I've thought long and hard about,
but have no "answers"... worse, it would make for a long and
definitely boring read were It to write it all down. Needless to say,
I'm a big supporter of the Sword Project. ;-)

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland