[CS-FSLUG] Linux Drive Cloning

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Wed Jul 28 20:01:03 CDT 2010

On 07/26/2010 01:08 AM, Timothy Butler wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> 	I'm wondering if anyone could offer some advice on cloning a disk? I want to take a 250 GB ext3 hard disk full of data (and the Linux system and boot files, too) and clone its data onto a 500 GB disk. I've done this on the Mac in Disk Utility, and if I tell it to put the contents of a certain partition onto a larger partition, that works just fine.
>
> 	Would the same be true in Linux? Any pointers?
>
> 	Typically, I've done a fresh install when moving a Linux install to a different drive. I guess I could copy the partitions to the new drive while keeping them the exact same size and then resize them afterwards, but that sounds less efficient.
>
> 	Thoughts?

I use HDclone. There is a free version, but it's limited. I bought the
pro. version.....works VERY well!! It WILL do exactly what you
want...creates the entire disk byte by byte and WILL do so on a larger
drive.....you can configure it.

Fred

--
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Thomas Jefferson