[CS-FSLUG] Linux Drive Cloning

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Mon Jul 26 08:38:49 CDT 2010

  Hi there,
Here is a list of different tools:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_disk_cloning_software
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_disk_cloning_software

Partimage, PING,  and clonezilla will allow you to resize partitions
during the copy.

Doing dd does not allow you to resize partitions, though you can use
other tools to do that later on.

I have done the tar or rsync between the two drives a number of
times, and it is certainly a good exercise.  You need to get the
bootloader on the new drive, which is the more complex part.  Grub
has the tools built into it to do it, so it is not all that
complex.   But if you want to migrate from a smaller disk to a
larger, I think partimage is the one to use.  It has been a while
since I have used it.

     - Tim Young